#118 - Do we ♥ Unicode?

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Oct 28 00:32:48 PDT 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/118.html

Hi,

lots of great articles this week. Way too many! And many of them have all
kinds of funny Unicode characters in their title or description. Let's see
if the Perl Weekly can already handle those? If you see any breakage,
please let me know!

(Actually I got an exception from Encode during the conversion and
Carp::Always helped me locate the source of the problem. See article below.

Enjoy!

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Email resume:
  106686-CS-6734 at grantstreet.hrmdirect.com
  --------------

  Back-End Blacksmith
  http://bit.ly/15Wof5W

  Do you take pride in your craft and want to have fun() at the same time?
  Are you a geek? Join the team of iwantmyname from <b>anywhere</b>.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Cluj.pm community members get together again
  http://bit.ly/1ajtfVU

  On 7 November 2013 in Cluj-Napoca, Romania with ribasushi (aka. Peter
  Rabbitson), SawyerX, Attila-Mihaly Balazs, Mihai Pop and you!
  --------------

  ¡Viva Perl!: Official Announcement of the Call for Speakers
  http://bit.ly/Hbyie9

  In cast that was not clear from the title, this is the first Call for
  Speakers of YAPC::NA that will be held in Orlando, Florida between
  23–25th June.
  --------------

  Carton Talks in Europe
  http://bit.ly/Hbyiea

  Tatsuhiko Miyagawa is doing his world tour, (limited edition) and will
  speak in Copenhagen and London, and he is also ready to drink beer in
  Frankfurt.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Pragmatic Perl Interview (English Translation)
  http://bit.ly/1ajtfVZ

  An interview with chromatic, the author of the	Modern Perl book
  --------------

  How I manage my Perl distributions
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgcg

  There are some large Perl-based applications out there that use their own
  way of packaging and distributing the code, but Steven Haryanto believes
  it is better to use the same toolchain as is used for CPAN distributions.
  Even if the application does not end up on CPAN. Even if it is an
  in-house or other proprietary application. (I tend to agree.) In this
  article he describes how he handles the process.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  How to use the debugger with Moose
  http://bit.ly/1ajteRP

  I have been a long-time fan of the command line debugger that comes with
  Perl, but in certain cases, especially when using Moose, it has issues.
  Now Ovid shows a solution using DB::Skip written by  Christian Walde.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Dist::Zilla ♥ encoding
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgcl

  Last weekend there was a mini hackathon at Ricardo Signes' house. David
  Golden tells us about the improvements they made to Dist::Zilla
  ("http://bit.ly/Hbyief") and which plugins might need further work in
  order to make sure everything works fine with UTF-8.
  --------------

  Parallel DNS lookups using AnyEvent
  http://bit.ly/Hbyieg

  An explanation and a full example script by Sebastian Willing.
  --------------

  Acme-oop-ism Part Two: Type::Tiny
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgcm

  As Toby Inkster explains: 'Acme-oop-ism is about writing code that works in
  Moose, Mouse and Moo.' His work allows the deprecation of several modules
  in favor of one that can handle all 3 OOP systems.
  --------------

  How to redirect and restore STDOUT
  http://bit.ly/HbygmC

  Perltricks by David Farrell
  --------------

  Enable Backtraces with Carp::Always (Modern Perl Tips)
  http://bit.ly/HbygmE

  This module will attach a stack-trace to every warning and exception,
  without modifying the code!
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  modules seeking homes
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgcn

  Ricardo Signes tries to sell some of his CPAN modules.
  --------------

  CPAN modules for converting markdown to HTML
  http://bit.ly/Hbyg6c

  Just as I am going to need one, Neil Bowers went over 9 CPAN modules
  converting Markdown to HTML ("http://bit.ly/1ajtgcp"). I love these
  comparisons, but it also somehow disturbs me. Frankly in many cases I'd
  just would like to be told 'use this' and not need to think about it
  much.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  POD Web View
  http://bit.ly/HbygmJ

  A fun web application written by Michał Wojciechowski using Perl Dancer.
  You type in some POD (or upload a file or give it a URL) and it will
  convert it to HTML and show it in search.cpan.org style, or MetaCPAN
  style, or GitHub style.
  --------------

=============

Business (or Fun)

  Ruling the world with Perl and Excel
  http://bit.ly/Hbyiej

  brian d foy shows how to create manager and executive friendly reports.
  (aka. Excel files with colors.)
  --------------

  Plotly - Scientific Graphing Libraries
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgsJ

  It says on the web page: 'Modern, drop-in alternatives for matplotlib,
  ggplot2, and MATLAB plotting routines with the added bonus of
  interactive, web-ready output.' Go try it!
  --------------

=============

Database

  Perl DBD::ODBC 1.44_4 released to the CPAN
  http://bit.ly/1ajtf8o

  This is a development releases, but as Martin Evans writes this is going to
  be 1.45. So if you depend on DBD::ODBC, you'd better test it. See changes
  in the latest development versions.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Parsing JSON with a single Regex
  http://bit.ly/HbygmO

  brian d foy explains the crazy regex written by Randal Schwartz to the
  Houston Perl Mongers and to all of us.
  --------------

  Exception to Rule
  http://bit.ly/1ajtfoF

  Bruce Gray (Util) gave a presentation about error handling with and without
  throwing exceptions at YAPC::NA 2013.
  --------------

=============

Web

  TWiki-6.0.0 Released - Better Usability, Scalability & App Platform
  http://bit.ly/HbyiuE

  With shiny new dashboard and lots of other new features. In case you don't
  know, Twiki, is one of the oldest and probably the largest Perl-based
  wiki.
  --------------

  Perl Catalyst 'Hamburg' Development Release 4 on CPAN
  http://bit.ly/HbygD3

  Thank to John Napiorkowski we have regular reporting in the development of
  the Catalyst web framework. Several improvements especially in the area
  of better PSGI support to enable mounting other PSGI based applications
  inside a Catalyst app.
  --------------

  Writing Non-Blocking Applications with Mojolicious: Part 1
  http://bit.ly/1ajtfoK

  Joel Berger starts the series of articles by asking the question: 'Why
  should I chose Mojolicious versus one of the other major Perl web
  frameworks?'. His point is that just as Node.js, Mojolicious was also
  designed non-blocking in mind. He then goes ahead and shows two versions
  of a pastebin application.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Mojolicious
  http://bit.ly/1ajtgt1

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1ajtfoN

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W43
  http://bit.ly/HbygD4

  'Flip flops can be negated.' - I wonder, does that mean it will first flop?
  --------------

=============

Past Events

  YE2013 & PPW2013 Survey Results online
  http://bit.ly/HbyiuJ

  Barbie has posted the results ("http://bit.ly/1ajtfoT") and wrote some
  explanation.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Austrian Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/18hunIE

  November 2-3, 2013, Salzburg, Austria
  --------------

  YAPC::Brazil 2013
  http://bit.ly/155GQIh

  November 15-16, 2013, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
  --------------

  Nordic Perl Workshop 2013
  http://bit.ly/16WT32H

  November 23, 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop (LPW 2013)
  http://bit.ly/17gJVYW

  Saturday 30th November 2013 at Westminster University
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html