[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #117 - Peculiar Modules, Odd Behaviors and Surprising Finds

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Oct 20 23:38:39 PDT 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/117.html

 With Perl, it doesn't matter how long you've been programming or how well
you know the language: there's always room for surprises. Whether it's the
eccentric corner-case behavior of an otherwise trustworthy module, an
intriguing new experiments born of a brilliant mind, or performance results
that beats expectations, you can bet that there's at least one link below
that will make you go "oh, really?". "Oh, really?", I hear the skeptics in
the room say. To which I confidently reply: "Oooh yes. Really." ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  Back-End Blacksmith
  http://bit.ly/15Wof5W

  Do you take pride in your craft and want to have fun() at the same time?
  Are you a geek? Join the team of iwantmyname from <b>anywhere</b>.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  PDL 2.007 Released!
  http://bit.ly/1i7QWPI

  Joel Berger announces the new release of PDL, the Perl Data Language. Now
  with 64bit support!
  --------------

=============

Articles

  How we do talent development in Booking.com IT
  http://bit.ly/1c8yIQZ

  Haico Kuut explains Booking.com's strategy to nurture and retain their
  talent pool.
  --------------

  The Benchmark with Go REST API Server
  http://bit.ly/1c8yIjZ

  Shinji Tanaka benchmarked how REST API servers written in Go, Perl and Ruby
  perform. The results are quite interesting: Go wins, but Perl is
  pleasantly not very far behind, both leaving Ruby somewhat far behind.
  --------------

  Structuring larger Dancer Applications
  http://bit.ly/1c8yIAc

  Dancer's all-the-app-in-a-single-pm is terrific for small applications. But
  that simplicity might not cut it once a project has grown past a certain
  size.  Patrick Fraley shows us how he organizes the code of such bigger
  applications to keep everything under control.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  The Problem With Perl Testing
  http://bit.ly/1i7QWPP

  The Perl testing culture. Is it good? You betcha. Is it perfect? Not even
  remotely close. Ovid brings up this laundry list of the typical sins we
  commit in our test suites, and how we can, and should improve on it.
  --------------

=============

Code

  How to schedule Perl scripts using cron
  http://bit.ly/1i7QWPQ

  Real life has swiss army knives and duct tape, the Unix environment has
  Perl and cron.  David Farrell offers a nice little tutorial on how to
  make those two fundamental sysadmin tools play well together.
  --------------

  writing OAuthy code
  http://bit.ly/1i7QWPV

  OAuth. Not the easiest thing to grok, but if one wants to work with web
  services nowadays, it's pretty hard to ignore. Ricardo Signes shares with
  us small scripts that perform the authentication dance with with
  Instapaper's and Withings's APIs.
  --------------

  Some code ports to Mojolicious, just for fun.
  http://bit.ly/1c8yIAl

  Sometimes it's a good exercise to port an application from framework A to
  framework B, just so see how the two compare. That's exactly what Joel
  Berger did here, for his own edification, and ours.
  --------------

  Perl -M-A-C tests
  http://bit.ly/1i7QWPY

  Quick, what are the -M, -A and -C file tests doing in Perl? Don't remember?
  Well, don't worry: Sebastian reminds us of those little known but handy
  tests.
  --------------

  Email::Valid Peculiarities
  http://bit.ly/1c8yIAq

  Email::Valid is a handy module, but it also has.. surprising edges, as the
  Perl Hacker Painter found out.
  --------------

  Fighting a 30-year-old software bug
  http://bit.ly/1i7QXDw

  Halloween is approaching, and in that spirit Ovid shares with us the
  terrifying tale of how he battled an ancient evil, born of an Age all but
  forgotten.
  --------------

  Yay! Moose is free from stringy exceptions!
  http://bit.ly/1c8yLvS

  Two reasons to rejoice. Upasana announces that Moose's exceptions are now
  lovingly structured, and gives us a rather impressive summary of what she
  learned during her internship for Moose as part of the GNOME Outreach
  Program for Women.
  --------------

  DBIx::Introspector
  http://bit.ly/1i7QZLB

  fREW presents here his latest work-in-progress, a module that auto-detect
  details of the database a DBIx::Class handler points to.
  --------------

  Structured Exceptions in Moose Mentorship
  http://bit.ly/1c8yLw3

  Shawn Moore was the dark Sith master to Upasana's Padawanernship. He gives
  us the tale of her exceptional rise to power, and an inkling of the joy
  and work that goes into mentoring.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Perl's Functional Functions
  http://bit.ly/1c8yJ7u

  David Oswald gives a primer on some of the basic Perl's functions to deal
  with arrays, both from the core (grep, map, sort) and beyond (first,
  reduce, any, all, pairwise, etc).
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  A small regex optimization for NQP and Rakudo
  http://bit.ly/1i7R01T

  by Moritz Lenz
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - DBD::SQLite
  http://bit.ly/1i7QXTX

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1i7QXTZ

  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Austrian Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/18hunIE

  November 2-3, 2013, Salzburg, Austria
  --------------

  YAPC::Brazil 2013
  http://bit.ly/155GQIh

  November 15-16, 2013, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
  --------------

  Nordic Perl Workshop 2013
  http://bit.ly/16WT32H

  November 23, 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop (LPW 2013)
  http://bit.ly/17gJVYW

  Saturday 30th November 2013 at Westminster University
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html