[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #116 - Perl TV launched

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Oct 14 05:58:42 PDT 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/116.html

Hi,

I am sorry for sending this edition so late, I was busy trying to launch
the new Perl TV ("http://perltv.org/") site. There are plenty of
interviews, talks and presentation posted on YouTube and other video sites,
but very few people know about those. I think it will be nice to share
these videos. So the Perl TV site will post a new video every day. You can
follow it via its Atom feed.

In other news, it turns out the Portuguese Perl Workshop was rescheduled to
October 24-25. Please make sure you arrive on the right days :).

Enjoy the articles!

Announcements

  Movable Type Hackathon 2013
  http://ptix.co/19zrZK1

  After 6 long years of waiting, the Movable Type ("http://bit.ly/19zrZdd")
  Hackathon is finally returning to New York City on October 17th, 2013!
  There are still a few more places left.
  --------------

  Austrian Perl Workshop 2013 - Call for everything
  http://bit.ly/18dhPQY

  Which is less than 3 weeks away!
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Google GeoChart, JSON and Perl
  http://bit.ly/18dhQ7f

  Although the example published by Johnny Morano uses CGI, it can help you
  get started with the creation of a chart showing the earth and displaying
  the countries with different colors.
  --------------

  Oozing Caribou
  http://bit.ly/18dhQ7j

  Oozie is a workflow scheduler for Hadoop that defines its workflows using a
  horrific XML dialect. Yanick Champoux took his Template::Caribou for a
  ride to make the XML behave.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Underappreciated Perl Code: TAP's YAMLish Syntax
  http://bit.ly/19zrZtC

  Parsing the error messages from a test script might be difficult as those
  include free text and were designed to be read by humans, not by
  computers. OTOH if you can get a well formatted version of this output
  then it will be possible and even easy to write a parser for them. This
  is what came out of the Wumpus Cave of Timm Murray.
  --------------

  Software Test Podcast
  http://bit.ly/19zs2p6

  I did not have time to listen to the actual podcast yet, but what David
  Cantrell writes about the distinction between Quality Control and Quality
  Assurance is interesting.
  --------------

  CPAN Testers Summary - Oct 2013 - What's THIS For...!
  http://bit.ly/19zs00y

  There was a big server upgrade that went well with only a few hiccups. Of
  course the server is not free. You can read how it is being financed.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Perl 5 Internals - Part Four
  http://bit.ly/19zs2pm

  In this part of the series, Rob Hoelz covers the optree, which is quite
  similar to what others might call an abstract syntax tree (AST). comments
  ("http://bit.ly/18dhQ7s")
  --------------

  Perl::Critic for the Camel
  http://bit.ly/19zs00J

  Tom Christiansen started discussing the idea to create a set of
  Perl::Critic rules that will cover the recommendations of the Camel book
  (aka. Programming Perl). In case you don't know, Perl::Critic is the
  implementation of the recommendation from the book 'Perl Best Practices'
  written by Damian Conway. It is extendable and can server as a great tool
  to make sure your code follows recommended practices.
  --------------

=============

Debian & Ubuntu

  Released Perl ptkdb debugger to experimental
  http://bit.ly/18dhQnN

  Thanks to Dominique Dumont, Debian and thus Ubuntu are going to get a new
  version of the Devel::ptkdb debugger.
  --------------

  Lintian 2.5.19
  http://bit.ly/18dhSw9

  Niels Thykier has recently released a new, and much faster version of
  autodie and now Lintian. autodie ("http://bit.ly/18dhQnU") will turns
  silent errors into an exception, and Lintian ("http://bit.ly/18dhQnY") is
  a Lint-like tool for Debian packages. It tries to find bugs and policy
  violations.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Real $VERSIONs on CPAN
  http://bit.ly/19zs2FR

  Do you know how should a version number on CPAN look like? Not? Don't
  worry. Apparently there are a few other people who have very interesting
  ideas about how version numbers should look like.
  --------------

  Five percent of indexed CPAN packages come from just two distributions
  http://bit.ly/18dhSMp

  Apparently David Golden was on a roll checking CPAN. What is totally
  unclear to me is why do those two distribution need so many packages
  (modules)?
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  NQP gets MoarVM support, cursor reduction, and other news
  http://bit.ly/19zs2W8

  Jonathan Worthington offers another peek into the labs of Perl 6.
  --------------

=============

SPAM

  Setting up DKIM email signatures with Perl
  http://bit.ly/19zs0h8

  DKIM is one of the tools that you, as a sysadmin, mail server owner can
  help your users to deliver their e-mail avoiding the spam-filters and to
  ensure that others cannot abuse your domain by faking messages being sent
  from it. DKIM signs the messages on the server so the recipient will be
  able to verify it really came from a server authorized for the domain.
  --------------

=============

Other

  Why I'll never leave Romania as a software developer
  http://bit.ly/18dhQEu

  Tudor Constantin reveals details about the most sacred. His salary. But not
  only that. He runs a comparison of income and cost of living in a couple
  of cities.
  --------------

=============

Video

  Larry Wall (TimToady): Why Perl Is Like a Human Language
  http://bit.ly/19MskwL

  Did your study of linguistics play a role in Perl's development? - How are
  human languages and programming languages similar?
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Devel::hdb
  http://bit.ly/18dhSMF

  Devel::hdb tops the list the week I posted the article about it
  ("http://bit.ly/1a49BaS"). Nice.
  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W41
  http://bit.ly/18dhT2V

  The weekly update by Konrad Borowski
  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/18dhT2X

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Getting started with Perl Dancer on Digital Ocean
  http://bit.ly/19zs0xA

  In this article you get from zero to a deployed skeleton of a Dancer based
  web application.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Portuguese Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/148IjRI

  October 24-25,	2013, Lisbon, Portugal
  --------------

  Perl-Community Workshop 2013 in Frankfurt
  http://bit.ly/1f9HK1l

  October 26-27, 2013, Frankfurt, Germany
  --------------

  Austrian Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/18hunIE

  November 2-3, 2013, Salzburg, Austria
  --------------

  YAPC::Brazil 2013
  http://bit.ly/155GQIh

  November 15-16, 2013, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html