[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #114 - Perl Monger Meetings Are Going Full Streaming Ahead

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Sep 29 19:57:15 PDT 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/114.html

More and more Perl Monger meetings are bursting out of their geographical
niches by offering a live stream of their talks. Thanks to this new
movement, one can now attend to the Perl Monger meetings in San Francisco,
New York and Toronto without the hassle of renting a private plane. Nifty,
eh?  - `/anick

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Telecommuters - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Email resume:Â
  106686-CS-6734 at grantstreet.hrmdirect.com
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Make Perl Nerd Merit Badges
  http://bit.ly/16NCciL

  Crowdtilt campaign to make it happen.
  --------------

  cpan-module-bootstrap
  http://bit.ly/15DIHdW

  Miyagawa presents here his latest offering: a tool that  creates a shell
  script and cpanm bundle to install modules on a remote machine  without
  cpanm installed and no network connection.
  --------------

  Firebase 0.0201
  http://bit.ly/16NCd6n

  JT Smith announces: a new release of the Perl wrapper for Firebase, the
  real-time web database, is out.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  I went to Tokyo!
  http://bit.ly/15DIHe5

  It is only poetic justice that the creator of Dist::Zilla got to go to
  Tokyo for YAPC::Asia . Ricardo Signes narrates for us here his YAPC::Asia
  2013 experience.
  --------------

  A Lookback of YAPC::Asia Tokyo 2013
  http://bit.ly/16NCczb

  Lestrrat offers us a recap of the awesome YAPC:Asia 2013, which saw  an
  impressive 1,131 attendees.
  --------------

  That's how we role!
  http://bit.ly/15DIFTz

  Oylenshpeegul offers us a pretty comprehensive overview of all the
  different ways roles are implemented in Perl. So, I guess that we can say
  that, in a  way, he's basically rickroling us (hey, *he* started with the
  puns). ## Discussion
  --------------

=============

Testing

  My first experience of travis-ci with DBD::ODBC and repercussions
  http://bit.ly/16NCczi

  Martin J. Evans had his first experience with Travis. He thinks he liked
  it.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Lexical subroutines in perl 5
  http://bit.ly/15DIG9U

  Lexical subroutines is a new feature introduced in Perl 5.18.0. Ricardo
  Signes tells us what they are, and what use they have.
  --------------

  Building your own Moose
  http://bit.ly/15DIHup

  Moose by itself is already scrumptious, but most of us top it with
  MooseX:: extras to make it even better. In this article, Ovid shows how
  to shave on the boilerplate that the import of all those extra modules
  require.
  --------------

  Hash slices can replace loops
  http://bit.ly/16NCdmX

  Hashes. They are darn versatile. Here, Vincent Veselosky proves the point
  and shows us a few tricks to	juggle with them most effectively.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Games
  http://bit.ly/15DIHuw

  Reini Urban shares with us his graphical, Win32-native Sudoku solver.
  --------------

  Games in Perl/Tk
  http://bit.ly/16NEleh

  Schokidoki (aka. Alex) has resurrected Petris, a Tetris clone written in
  Perl/Tk. He even made a YouTube video and inspired Reini Urban to post
  his game.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  HOWTO: Youtube live streaming of a talk
  http://bit.ly/16NCdDg

  The New York Perl mongers are using Google Hangout to livestream their
  talks.  Want to emulate them? Samuel Kaufman gathers here all the steps
  and tricks
  --------------

  Toronto.pm monthly meetings are now streamed live
  http://bit.ly/15DIGa3

  The Toronto.pm Perl Monger meetings are also boldly shattering geographical
  limitations. Olaf Alders announces how the group is now broadcasting live
  via Google Hangout, and urges us to join the fun.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - Moose
  http://bit.ly/16NCdDn

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1dzrcxU

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W38
  http://bit.ly/16NCfLr

  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  OSDC.fr
  http://bit.ly/174u3wM

  October 4-5, 2013, Paris, France
  --------------

  The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/14fKJdb

  October 4-6, 2013, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
  --------------

  Portuguese Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/148IjRI

  October 9-10,  2013, Lisbon, Portugal
  --------------

  OSDC NZ
  http://bit.ly/14C07kY

  October 21-23, 2013, Auckland, New Zealand
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html