[Kochi-pm] Access Memory Location using Perl

Varghese Chacko vctheguru at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 04:26:42 PDT 2010

Raja,

Its similar to 'C' memory allocation. ie, the address of the pointer is
valid ONLY when the variable is in the system memory. I dont think you
can get same data by storing an address in the db and then retrieving
the address, unless you are trying to access some standard ports which
always exists and accessible. So its NOT advisable to store hash
reference in the database and cant guarentee to return the expected data
every time you read that memory. You can always assign $my_new_hash_ref
= 'HASH(0x91498b8)' and de-refer  it as my $my_new_hash =
%$my_new_hash_ref;. But it may NOT return any value or may return undef
or may return some garbage or random value or a de-reference error.

Give a try and let us know. You may paste your code-snippet so that we
will get a better view of what you are trying to do and we may be able
to suggest something.

regards
VC

Bharathiraja P wrote:
> I'm not actually printing. I'm just storing that address in db and I
> want to access the hash using the address
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Shibu P U <shibu.pu at gmail.com
> <mailto:shibu.pu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     You have written as "I have a hash reference and if we print the
>     reference variable we will get an address.".
>     Above, you are printing a variable no?? I meant that variable.
>
>     Regards
>     Shibu P U
>

>     On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Bharathiraja P
>     <pbrthemaster at gmail.com <mailto:pbrthemaster at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I have only the address not the reference variable.
>

>         On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Shibu P U
>         <shibu.pu at gmail.com <mailto:shibu.pu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             If you have the reference variable, can't you dereference
>             it and use?
>             For example, if $hashref is a hash reference, you can
>             dereference it as my %hash = %$hashref;
>
>             Regards
>             Shibu P U
>

>             2010/8/25 Bharathiraja P <pbrthemaster at gmail.com
>             <mailto:pbrthemaster at gmail.com>>
>
>                 I have a hash reference and if we print the reference
>                 variable we will get an address. I want to access the
>                 hash using that address.
>
>                 For ex. if $hash is a hash reference. If we print
>                 $hash we will get something like HASH(0x91498b8). I
>                 want to access the hash using the address HASH(0x91498b8).
>
>                 2010/8/25 Varghese Chacko <vctheguru at gmail.com
>                 <mailto:vctheguru at gmail.com>>
>
>                     How do you get the memory address without any type
>                     info like Array/Hash or Scalar? Are you trying to
>                     access ports?
>
>                     --VC
>
>                     Bharathiraja P wrote:
>>                     Hi,
>>
>>                               Can you tell how can I map memory
>>                     location to a variable. For ex. I have a memory
>>                     address for a hash reference say 0x23413. Is it
>>                     possible to access the hash using the memory address?
>>
>>                     --
>>                     Bharathiraja
>>

>                     --
>                     Regards
>                     Varghese Chacko

Regards
Varghese Chacko

Unless you can create the WHOLE universe in 5 days, then
perhaps giving "advice" to God, isn't such a good idea.