Code critique

Kevin Guidry kguidry at utk.edu
Mon Jan 21 16:04:22 CST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Don wrote:

>Nice, I like Steve's layout and I had never used Regexp::Common.

	Me, too.  Your layout, Steve, got me thinking about how to
restructure the whole program to reduce reduncancy and make it easier to
read.  I also have a feeling that I'll be digging through Regexp::Common
to see what other wheels I won't need to reinvent.
	Question:  Where do ya'll turn when you have to, uh, do something
new in Perl, something that you've never done before?  What kinds of
resources do you regularly turn to before asking questions?  Someone
mentioned O'Reilly's Perl Bookshelf, which most of us would agree is a
very good resource(although I question its utility as an introduction to
Perl).  If it hasn't already been done(and it may have been; please be
gentle with me I'm just repeating history) it may be worth our while to
contribute suggestions so that we can gather up a list of *our* favorite
and most-used resources.  I'd be happy to serve as a collection agent of
sorts to gather them from everyone.
	On a related note, does anyone have the new Perl Bookshelf?  I
saw that they dropped both Learning Perl and Learning Perl on Win32 and
added a new Perl for Sysadmins.  Is it worth the money for those that
already have the first one?

	Finally, I'll be finishing up that piece of code that I submitted
for "review" probably this afternoon.  If anyone would like to see the
final product and maybe offer some suggestions or just want to make sure
that I actually followed your suggestions, let me know.  I'll be happy to
send the code your way, but I don't think it necessary to clutter up the
list again.

Kevin

http://knoxville.pm.org/