Tutorials for meetings

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Wed Sep 5 14:47:35 CDT 2001

"Martin, David" wrote:
> I like the idea of having a beginner and an advanced tutorial as part of the
> festivities.  You never know what advanced thing might be wanted by a
> beginner, or what curious thing a more advanced programmer might learn while
> preparing a beginner tutorial.
>
> Here are some ideas for beginner tutorials:
> localtime()
> how to make subroutines
> package scope
> regular expressions
> using perl from the command line
> pragmas like : strict, constant, vars, libs
> how to build perl from source
> perl debugger
> Plain Old Documentation (POD)
> perl on platforms other than Windows and Linux
> how to use various common modules: GD.pm, Tie::Registry,  PDF::Create.pm,
> DBI.pm, Win32::ODBC.pm, CGI.pm, CGI::Lite.pm, Tk.pm,
> Quantum::Entanglement.pm
>
> ideas for advanced tutorials:
> h2xs - rolling your own perl modules
> references, data structures
> manipulating the symbol table
> regular expressions (yeah, this is on both lists!)
> closures
> classical data structures using perl builtins: lists, stacks, queues
> extending perl with swig, h2xs using home-made C program
> client-side perlscript
> how to get your own CPAN directory
> using embedding perl in text editors (emacs? vim?)
> comparison of perl and tcl, python, or ruby languages

this is one helluva list of possible tutorials.
they're all worthwhile, but here are my particular
favorites from your list:

localtime()
how to make subroutines
regular expressions
using perl from the command line
pragmas like : strict, constant, vars, libs
how to build perl from source
how to use various common modules: DBI.pm, CGI.pm, CGI::Lite.pm
references, data structures
manipulating the symbol table

here's something from the stlouis list which
would be excellent too:

"Would anyone be willing to give a quick tutorial on how to locate, install,
and uninstall perl modules?  For example, LWP.pm and XML.pm."

and to the list of commonly-used modules, i'd add
LWP.pm (i use it almost daily), MIME::Entity (my
current favorite way to send multipart email),
Time::HiRes (simple but handy), Image::Size,
Text::CSV, Tie::IxHash, List::Util, and Scalar::Util.

mod_perl might make a good advanced topic, as
might Inline.pm and Filter::*.
--
Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com>
http://knoxville.pm.org/