Tutorials for meetings

Martin, David MARTINDT at eetcorp.com
Wed Sep 5 14:01:09 CDT 2001

Joy !

the list lives!

I like the idea of having a beginner and an advanced tutorial as part of the
festivities.  You never know what advanced thing might be wanted by a
beginner, or what curious thing a more advanced programmer might learn while
preparing a beginner tutorial.

Here are some ideas for beginner tutorials:
localtime()
how to make subroutines
package scope
regular expressions
using perl from the command line
pragmas like : strict, constant, vars, libs
how to build perl from source
perl debugger
Plain Old Documentation (POD)
perl on platforms other than Windows and Linux
how to use various common modules: GD.pm, Tie::Registry,  PDF::Create.pm,
DBI.pm, Win32::ODBC.pm, CGI.pm, CGI::Lite.pm, Tk.pm,
Quantum::Entanglement.pm

ideas for advanced tutorials:
h2xs - rolling your own perl modules
references, data structures
manipulating the symbol table
regular expressions (yeah, this is on both lists!)
closures
classical data structures using perl builtins: lists, stacks, queues
extending perl with swig, h2xs using home-made C program
client-side perlscript
how to get your own CPAN directory
using embedding perl in text editors (emacs? vim?)
comparison of perl and tcl, python, or ruby languages

I'll bet there are another fifty things at least could be done in either
category.  hopefully we'll do them all eventually.

> David Martin
> EET Corp
> martindt at eetcorp.com
> 865.671.7800