[Kc] Isolated and repeatable Perl environment

Luke Patterson lukewpatterson at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:44:30 PDT 2012

Mongers,

I'm creating an isolated, versioned environment to run some scripts in.
 The scripts are written in everything from Perl to Ruby to Python.

I have a few parts pretty much figured out.  I'm using:
Ruby: rbenv <https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv>,
ruby-build<https://github.com/sstephenson/ruby-build>,
bundler <http://gembundler.com/>
Python: virtualenv <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv>,
pip<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip>
Node: npm <http://npmjs.org/>

What about Perl, though?

So far, for Perl, I like Perlbrew <http://perlbrew.pl/> for retrieving
Perls, but I'm not sure what to use for *module retrieval/installation*.
 Ideally, I want the Gemfile <http://gembundler.com/gemfile.html>/
package.json <http://package.json.nodejitsu.com/> approach where I can list
my *versioned* dependencies in a file, and let the tool download
everything.  I see some information in
http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html , but I'm having a hard time
figuring out what I should use.

*What are the cool kids using?*  I don't need any build tool features, just
the ability to specify which libraries should be downloaded and installed
into the local, private collection of modules.

Thanks,
Luke