[Kc] December 2012 meeting

Jason Rush jason+kcpm at jlrush.com
Tue Dec 11 09:55:26 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Otsuka <djgoku at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is that time of month again. I know we typically do not have a meeting.
> So I thought maybe would could have a discussion on the mailing list.
>
> I have been playing around with applications as of late:
>
> Elasticsearch
> Websockets
> Logstash
> GhostDriver is an implementation of Remote WebDriver Wire protocol which
> is apart of phantomjs 1.8 (soon to be released).
> OpenRefine (used to be Google Refine)
>
> Anybody using any of these in production?
>
> Jonathan Otsuka

A few months ago I was tasked with setting up log file archive/search
stacks to compare log file search abilities.  The client wanted to evaluate
Splunk against open-source alternatives.  For the open source stack, we
used GrayLog2 as well as LogStash and ElasticSearch.  GrayLog2 provided the
web front-end.

The commercial product, Splunk, provided a more feature rick and documented
front-end (also a hefty price tag), so I did not make it very far with the
GrayLog2 front-end but online reviews seemed positive.

A recent OSCON talk seems to focus on another front-end, Kibana.
http://www.oscon.com/oscon2012/public/schedule/detail/26347

Hope that helps,
Jason