[Kc] Catalyst Deployment

Sterling Hanenkamp sterling at hanenkamp.com
Wed Sep 14 14:04:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Jason Rush <jason+kcpm at jlrush.com> wrote:

> This is NOT a better solution.  If you cannot install or use Starman
> and you already have an Apache instance running...

That's a pretty big "if" in 2011. If you're not stuck on a cheap 2008-style
shared host or on some University-owned machine or somewhere else you don't
control the environment and aren't allowed to run servers: agreed, CGI is
the default position for the old world. However, I assumed everyone on earth
new about that since Matt's Script Archive was invented. Perhaps that was a
false assumption.

However, you can find cloud hosting where you get root on your own virtual
machine in the $100-250/year range nowadays (free for a year from Amazon),
so I'd recommend moving that direction if you haven't already. Old style
shared hosting is going to start disappearing from the interwebs in the next
few years.

If you want to be really hip, you can try out cloud deployment to Stackato
or another "platform as a service" system:

* http://rjbs.manxome.org/rubric/entry/1909
* http://onionstand.blogspot.com/2011/04/catalyst-in-cloud.html

I've not tried one of these myself, but I'm starting to hear good things.

--
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
sterling at hanenkamp.com
785.370.4454