[Kc] February meeting

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:06:08 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Andrew Moore <amoore at mooresystems.com> wrote:

> - John mentioned that they run a local CPAN mirror at Allen Press. I'm
> going to twist your arm into giving us some kind of overview of how
> you do that and how it helps you some night.

I briefly had one up at GSI while exploring minimal enterprise linux
distributions. It's just an FTP or HTTP server with files in the right
places, and there are tools to help set it up. It's an excellent way
to centrally manage enterprise software distribution, of course
including Perl modules but you can package anything else (RPMs, BSD
ports, shared configuration file updates) in CPAN format if you want.

And of course there's the security promise of a single point of code
entry for auditing, if you're seriously worried that Mark Jason
Dominus or such is going to try to leverage CPAN to tunnel  through
your perimeter.