[Kc] perl 6 progress

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Fri Feb 27 10:23:48 PST 2009

Here's some perl 6, parrot, and rakudo news for you:

As I mentioned earlier this month, Parrot 1.0 is apparently due out
March 17: <http://www.parrot.org/news/vision-for-1_0>. The February
release of Parrot alluded to this milestone with its "Final Countdown"
name: <http://www.parrot.org/news/2009/Parrot-0.9.1>. The
stabilization of parrot is great news for perl 6 fans. (wake up,
people!)

Parrot 1.0 is expected to be the first stable release of the virtual
machine that you can use to build languages on top of. Of course, one
language being built on Parrot is Rakudo, an implementation of perl 6.
Rakudo development recently became a little more separated from Parrot
development, now having its own source repository. So, this month's
Rakudo release is the first one that's separated from a Parrot release
<http://perlbuzz.com/2009/02/perl-6-stretches-its-wings-makes-a-milestone-release.html>.
Each month's release of
Rakudo is getting tons better than the previous month. You can write
pretty complex programs in perl 6 using Rakudo these days. With Parrot
stabilized, I'm betting that Rakudo development will continue to get
closer to having a usable, stable language soon. Maybe even by
Christmas. They could use your help, though, so if you feel like
playing with perl 6, perhaps you can lend the Rakudo development team
a hand.

If any of you guys have played with perl 6, I'd be interested in
hearing about it.

-Andy