[Kc] Last night's meeting a success

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 08:28:57 PDT 2008

I thought so at least.  Thanks for listening to me hold forth on
Macrame, Tipjar, Advenge.

I am actively imagining (if such a thing is possible, or productive)
an economy in "tuits" which can be exchanged to participating geeks
for tuit-sized tasks such as adding a feature to a module.  A
correspondence between a standard tuit and a standard "function point"
makes sense, although standardizing the granularity of function points
seems impossible to do formally.

Andrew Moore agreed with my criticism of /bin/find -exec and
appreciated the method I presented for mitigating the risk of
/bin/find -exec mowing the baby, which is as follows.

1:  several iterations of
    find . -name '*.txt' -size +20 -ls | head
to get the selextion criteria to work right, then drop the -ls switch
to get a simple list of file names

2:  instead of using -exec .... \;, pipe the results of the above
through xargs echo to compose what you want to do with the files
    find . -name '*.txt' -size +10  | xargs -n5 echo gzip | head
until you are generating a script that does what you need

3: replace the final |head with |sh to run the program.

This exercise generally takes less time than reading "man find" to
find out how to properly escape special characters in the exec clause,
and you don't have to run code you haven't had a chance to vet
visually.

I owe someone a fractional tuit for my pepsi, if it made it into the
evening's bistromath.  I realized when I was about a mile away that I
had, as it were, sipped and slid.

--
"Every man a god, that is if you can qualify.  You can't be the god of
anything unless you can do it" -- William S. Burroughs