[Kc] Question

Stephen Clouse stephenclouse at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:37:15 PDT 2006

On 7/14/06, C. Garrett Goebel <ggoebel at goebel.ws> wrote:
> Perl doesn't have the pedigree to make it popular in academic circles. I
> remember reading how Damian Conway's peers told him he'd ruin his academic
> career if he continued pursuing his interest in Perl. So while you might
> find the occassional good Perl course at a college, I think you'll usually
> find that Perl is given short shrift.

Agree.  Perl is not buzzword-compliant, so courses are in no^H^Hshort
supply.  What you see more of as far as coursework is concerned is
C/C++ (foundational languages, still very good and useful to learn),
Java (bleh), and *.NET (**bleh**).

I've even seen at least one junior college offering a PHP course now.
I cry for humanity.

> Others will tell you that Perl is a write-only language. I.e., what one
> programmer writes, no one else will be able to decipher. And extended
> form of this is the complaint by some that Perl isn't appropriate for
> large projects involving many developers. This is a fall out of TIMTOWTDI.

Such accusations are vile and odious lies of the bourgeoisie.  Be not
swayed by the Party line.

I have personally managed a project involving 6 developers and 750,000
lines of Perl code.  A quality OO design and instillment of best
practices with Perl will get you as far as (or even farther than) any
bondage-and-discipline language.  Mind you, there are some things to
like about B&D in C++, but RAD in Perl is fine also.

--
Stephen Clouse <stephenclouse at gmail.com>