[Kc] pc perl droplet

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Mon Dec 11 14:15:34 PST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:18:13 -0600
JYOUNG79 at kc.rr.com wrote:

> Please forgive me for my total lack of knowledge with the pc
> platform. I'm curious though, is it possible to write a perl stand
> alone droplet for the pc that could run without perl being installed
> on that particular machine?
>
> At the moment I've got an incredibly simple applescript for the mac
> platform - The user simply drags a file or folder on the droplet and
> then it puts the path (as a string) to that file/folder in the
> clipboard.  This way the user can paste the path to a particular file
> in their email, etc.
>
> I'd like to do something similar on a pc but don't know where to go
> to find out how to do this.
>
> Also, are you all meeting at Planet Sub tomorrow night?

   You've going to want to look into PAR on CPAN.  It helps you
   package up an application for distribution in a number of ways.

   However, I think you need to have Perl itself installed on the
   system.  But again, you can abstract that way with your own
   installer.

   Another good place to look is at SlimDevices.com, they not
   only sell a great product, but their software is Open Source and
   written in Perl.  They have it setup so it is brain dead easy to
   install on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  If I were going to try to
   distribute something on Windows I would certainly be taking
   some cues from them.