[Kc] return vs newline

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 12:25:48 PST 2006

> Frankly, I'm a little surprised that you have to do this. I thought
> perl's "\n" was smart enough to know about this as long as you stay on
> one single platform (even OSX). Oh well.

perl for OSX might need to get revised slightly to use something like
  qr/\015|\012/
for the default newline character in order to gracefully deal with older
mac-style text.  I would alert apple support to this thread in our
archive:http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/kc/2006-December/000635.html

oh drat, never mind: according to perldoc perlvar,

              Remember: the value of $/ is a string, not a regex.  awk has to
               be better for something. :-)

so installing something flexible like that would mean altering that
basic fact.  So we've got, OSX is BSD which uses newline for end-of-line,
and legacy mac text needs to be treated on OSX as it would be treated
when writing on Linux or BSD or whatever.

Sorry to be making noise without signal here

Dave