[Kc] Book Reviews

Garrett Goebel ggoebel at goebel.ws
Wed Aug 9 10:41:56 PDT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Andrew Moore wrote:

> * If you're interested in reviewing an O'Reilly book for the gang in
>   coming months, Garrett (our fearless moderator in absentia) can
>   order a copy of it FOR FREE, provided that you present the review to
>   us, write it up, and allow it to be used for promotion or
>   something. (Garrett, are there any actual available rules to this?)

Requesting books for review is achieved by having one of the KCPM
facilitators contact marsee at oreilly dot com and request the book
on the reviewer's behalf. The next time I send in a request, I'll let
Marsee know to consider myself, David Nicol, and Andrew Moore as the
current KCPM facilitators.

Here is the link to the O'Reilly book review guidelines:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

When you write a review, you should send a copy to kc at pm dot org
and marsee at oreilly dot org with the subject heading prefix: "Book
Review" followed by the title of the book. Then nudge the KCPM
facilitators until your book review shows up at http://kc.pm.org/
reviews.shtml.

Actually writing reviews for the books requested goes a long way
toward insuring the good will of O'Reilly on their supporting our
free books for review. I.e., I'm not prone to send in book requests
for people that don't have a track record of writing reviews.

The book reviews don't have to be long or favorable. A short honest
review does the trick. If you get writer's block, you can always look
for book reviews on slashdot.org or amazon. Do try to put a personal
spin on it... i.e. don't be a plagiarist ;)  O'Reilly likes to
encourage you to post your reviews to amazon and slashdot as well.
But that is your prerogative.

cheers,

Garrett