[Kazan.pm] Fwd: [pm_groups] YAPC::EU::2010 Newsletter #01 2010/01/25 - The when, the where, the who and some thank you!

Denis Ibaev dionys ÎÁ gmail.com
ðÎ ñÎ× 25 23:39:18 PST 2010

Hi all,

greetings, and welcome to the very first YAPC::EU::2010 newsletter!

Summary

š šIn this issue:

š š* Conference theme
š š* Conference dates
š š* Venue
š š* Tickets and availability
š š* Sponsors
š š* Contacts

š šSo let's get started!

§ Conference theme: The Renaissance of Perl
š šThe conference theme is the Renaissance of Perl. This topic pays homage
š što Italy's role as the cradle of the Renaissance, and acknowledges how
š šPerl is far from a dead legacy language, but is constantly being reborn
š šwith, for example, the parallel initiatives of Perl 6, and the Modern
š šPerl 5 movement.

š š(note: we know that these days it's the Perl Enlightenment, and that
š šPerl Renaissance was around 2001-2004, but we're in Italy, not in France
š š:) )

§ Conference dates
š šWe are now able to confirm the tentative dates published on Twitter some
š štime ago:

š šYAPC::EU::2010 will be held from 4 to 6 August 2010.

š šWe expect sunny and warm Summer days, so don't forget to bring your
š šsolar protection!

§ Conference venue
š šOur primary venue turned out to be a no-go... but that's OK, because we
š šhad a Plan B! Our secondary venue turned out to be a no-go as well...
š šbut even this is OK, because we had a Plan C!

š šThe conference will be held in:

š šMy One Hotel Pisa Conference Centre (
š šhttp://www.myonehotel.it/eng/galilei/default.asp )

š šRough map: http://bit.ly/8FN64F

š šThis venue also has 4-star hotel rooms at a reasonable price, many of
š šwhich are reserved for the conference. It's therefore possible to sleep
š šthere, which - besides making the venue only an elevator ride away - is
š šan ideal choice for after-conference BOF, hackatons, etc. On the other
š šhand, the place is a bit outside downtown and uneasy to reach via public
š štransport, so if your idea is visit Pisa and/or have some late-night fun
š šyou might want to choose a place to sleep closer to downtown.

š šShuttles will be provided, running from downtown Pisa, for the
š šconference. Hotel shuttles are available from the (nearby) airport.

§ Tickets and availability
š šThis venue should be able to hold 400+ people, so there's no attendance
š šlimit at present time. Registration will be open on Act, as usual, as
š šsoon as we have a catchy website layout.

š šTicket price will be announced in the next newsletter.

§ Sponsors
š šWe have already had a great deal of fantastic initial support from some
š šlovely people:

š š* Shadowcat Systems UK, agreed to support us even before our bid was
š šaccepted!
š š* YEF themselves have offered a "kickstart donation" to help with
š šearly-stage costs
š š* And the almost unfeasibly lovely hosts of YAPC::EU::2009 in Lisbon
š šhave also given a kickstart donation!

š šThis really shows how organizations, both commercial and charitable, in
š šthe Perl world are dedicated to ploughing their time and money back into
š šthe community. YAPC::EU::2010 wouldn't be possible without help like
š šthis!

š šWe'll be placing an official call for sponsors very soon, but if you
š šcan't wait for our next newsletter, please get in touch, and we'll be
š šdelighted to discuss!

§ Contacts
š šTwitter: http://twitter/yapceu2010

š šWebsite: http://www.yapceurope.org/2010/

š šE-mail: yapc-info ÎÁ perl.it

All the best,

š - Michele Beltrame
š š on behalf of Italian Perl Conference Team
--
Request pm.org Technical Support via support ÎÁ pm.org