[Jakarta-pm] Database migration

Christian Maxnamara christian_maxnamara at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:30:38 PST 2005

>Christian Maxnamara wrote:
>>Hello Cinta,
>>
>>I have about 2 years experience in Perl programming either on Linux or
>>Windows.
>
>I have 8 years of Perl programming experience but only on Linux and other
>Unix platforms.  I very rarely do anything with Windows and so haven't had
>much cause to use ActivePerl yet.
>
>>I use Perl to create SMS Quiz processing that connect to MySQL database. I
>>use also to do migration of data from Ms. Access to PostgreSQL.
>
>That sounds quite interesting.  With respect to your migrations, have you
>come across any ways to make applications which talk ODBC to be able to use
>Perl's DBI module.  I understand that it's possible to write Perl programs
>to use DBI and DBD::ODBC but I've been thinking about writing a plugin
>which would work the other way: some MS program expects to talk to an ODBC
>database and instead can use DBI and DBD::Proxy somehow...

I've been using Win32::ODBC to migrate either from Ms Access to PostgreSQL
or Ms Access to SQL Server 2000.
The simplest thing has been done on MySQL, we could just write: use DBI;.
I've ever found also a ASP-like way to include the MDB file for database
connection.
That is a good idea to start to build commercial software for database
migration that built on plugin for various databases and platforms.