[Jax.PM] references

WC Jones sx at insecurity.org
Sat Jul 5 10:42:22 CDT 2003

>Does a reference go away after the program that wrote it finishes
>running?  Or can it be reused from another instance of the same or other
>scripts called within a short period of time?

For all practical purposes it goes away - depending upon context.  If your
programs and data behave like the 80's version of a TSR - then all bets are
off...

Under mod_perl within Apache 1.x you could access the shared memory (all data is
addressiable by all apache programs - which includes mod_perl, mod_php, etc.)

The age old preferred method is to write out your data structures to disk and
re-read them upon the next program invocation.

Generally speaking references are meaningless between and among programs --
there are various security and program structure reasons for this.

What I guess I should say is - what you describe would allow ANY program to
access your data if the references stayed in memory AFTER your program exited.
That would be a security violation - whether implied or enforced - one that no
sane programmer would want.

Not that I am claiming to be sane...

=)
-Sx-