[JaxPM] that email-spam filtering program?

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Feb 2 22:39:48 CST 2002

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Nate Campi <nate at campin.net> wrote -

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 06:13:15PM -0500, Steve Lane wrote:
> On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com> wrote -
>
> howdy all.  i read somewhere recently about a
> spam-filtering daemon that someone really liked.
> i -think- i read about it here -- if so, could
> that person remind me what the program was?
>
> if not, i guess this email itself is spam. ;)

That would have been me. www.spamassassin.org is the URL you need.

Friendly advice: if you're going to use it for a busy mail server for
all deliveries, use local only tests. The network tests like razor and
RBL can slow things down more than they're worth. One alternative is to
slave some RBL zones to a local nameserver to speed that up, but I know
of no way to cache razor lookups (that doesn't mean there aren't any
ways, I just haven't looked into it).

Spamassassin is written in perl, and is under very active development.
At Lycos we use Brightmail on our main incoming mail relays, and we pay
a lot for it. Spamassassin catches more spam, is free, is perl, and has
all the usual benefits of Open Source (like I need to list all those
here ;).
--
It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer.
  - Albert Einstein