[JaxPM] RE: From Blanding Blvd

JONES, WILLIAM C wcjones at exchange.fccj.org
Sat May 26 22:42:44 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er "JONES, WILLIAM C" <wcjones at exchange.fccj.org> wrote -

Hmmm...   :|

Well, other than THAT IS A REALLY BAD  IDEA - your web server probably
doesn't have enough write premissions to create files in your CGI-BIN.

The cgi-bin is prolly owned by root - which is the secure way - if it is
owned by a regular userID, then that is not as secure, but still likely
better than allow the ID the server runs as access.

I would suggest you purchase Apache Server Administrator's Handbook, ISBN:
0-7645-3301-1  and you may want to get the Official Guide to Programming
with CGI.pm, ISBN:
0-471-24744-8  and/or CGI Programming with Perl, ISBN:  1-56592-419-3.

Each book is about $30...

PS - I teach CGS2283 at FCCJ - you may want to sign-up in the Fall.  See
http://www.fccj.org/catalog/cd/CGS/CGS2283.html

Also, you should join Jax.PM the web page explains how to get on the list;
the members there can explain how this is a really bad idea as well  :)

See http://web.fccj.org/~wcjones/Jax.PM.org/

The Mailing List  section states:
     "Interested parties can subscribe to the Jacksonville.PM mailing list
for news and information about the group. Send an e-mail message to
majordomo at hfb.pm.org with a single line of text that says subscribe
jacksonville-pm-list in the body.  Once you are subscribed, you can post
questions, ideas, and other tidbits of information relevant to perl,
mongering, and related activities to the list. The posting address is:
jacksonville-pm-list at hfb.pm.org  ... "

To answer your question about 'With Out' using SYSTEM() - that too is a bad
idea.  Using system() is one of the better things to do.  The alternative is
back-quotes which are VERY bad - about the same as allowing a web browser to
write in your cgi-bin...

HTH;
-Sneex-  :]