[JaxPM] report from YAPC

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Mon Jun 18 22:29:30 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

> (No one said you guys HAD to have me for a meeting -- hell, people around
> here have meetings all the time and they NEVER invite me  :(

Well, that's true, but I figured I'd be nice since you actually founded
the group, eh?  Besides.  It's not a "real" meeting unless there were at
least 3 of us there.  I could get my friend from Philly to sign up, and
we'll make it retroactive...

> Many times they are meeting to talk ABOUT me !   :D

Well, that's what Greg and I did, anyway.  :)

> PS - Forward any pictures - I'll set them up on the Jax.PM home page...

None myself, but I think the collections are supposed to be linked from
yapc.org or use.perl.org sometime soonish.

For those who are curious, here are the sessions I went to.  I will be
happy to share more info about them if you ask.  They also say there's
going to be an effort to get post-conference proceedings published, since
many of the slides weren't done in time for the first book.

Wednesday:

Damian Conway on Perl 6 (in place of Larry, who was sick)
Nat Torkington free-form, eventually on idiomatic Perl
Adam Turoff's Perl Apprenticeship "Hour"
Abigail on Parse::RecDescent

Thursday:

Nat Torkington on Perl Internals
Skud Robert and Shane Landrum on Reefknot
Skud Robert and Shane Landrum on CGI::FormMagick
Schwern on "Disciplined Programming, or How to be Lazy without Trying"
Damian Conway on Life, the Universe, and Everything
    (during which he introduced modules for cell automata and
    programming Perl in Klingon.)

Friday was mostly shorter sessions for me:

MJD on Dirty Secrets of the Regex Engine
MJD on the Identity Function
Neil Kandalgaonkar on Programming Parrot
Nat Torkington on "What's the Big Deal about P2P and Web Services?"
Leon Brocard on Optimizing Compiler and Interpreter for a Toy Language
Ranga Nathan on COBOL Explorer
Clinton Pierce on Writing a Perl Book
and the last few mintues of Lightning Talks
Damian Conway and Nat Torkington on Perl 6 Status Meeting
Damian Conway free-form for 30 minutes thanking us all
    (actual quote: "All my Damian are belong to you")
Kevin Lenzo led the YAPC Town Meeting
and we had a book auction at the end.

I only saw Greg in a couple sessions.  It's possible I wasn't paying
attention to the audience, though.  Maybe he'll take a few minutes and
post which sessions he went to, and the rest of you who couldn't attend
will have more information about the magic that is YAPC.

P.S.  My brain is still full.