[JaxPM] Re: Perl Question (continued)

Bill Jones bill at fccj.org
Mon Jul 17 02:32:56 CDT 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Bill Jones <bill at fccj.org> wrote -

Well you have a few problems...   See below -

- FCCJ * 501 W State St * Jacksonville, Fl 32202 * 904/632-3089 -

> From: "Proffitt, Todd " <Todd_Proffitt at csx.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:03:34 -0400
> To: "'Bill Jones'" <bill at fccj.org>
> Subject: RE: Perl Question (continued)
>
> Bill,
> 1. I'm not sure what you mean by ActiveState Perl (I have Perl 5.005_02 on
> the server).

ActiveState makes a Perl specifically for NT...

> 2. I have Perl.exe on this server at:
> D:\Perl5\Perl.exe

This is the path you want to use...
#!D:\Perl5\Perl.exe

> and also at
> D:\Tecweb\cgi-bin\bin\Perl.exe

This is BAD - delete that as soon as you get this message!

> 3. I have tried these in the .pl file and none seem to work so far.
> #!/cgi-bin/bin/perl
> #!/cgi-bin/bin/
> #!/cgi-bin/bin

These don't mean anything as they are wrong for the OpSys pathing and wrong
for implied WWW pathing...

> I assume you MUST HAVE THAT PATH with Windows NT? I'm not sure what kind of
> path it is looking for. The file directory path in the html from
> "browser_page.pl" to perl.exe would be    ../cgi-bin/bin/Perl.exe

The #! ... is required when the perl system can't figure out where the
runtime is located...  if it knew about Perl (or if you had installed
ActiveState Perl) it would work without it...

Also, using this (../cgi-bin/bin/Perl.exe) is a known way for
hackers/crackers to break INTO your server -- so don't do that!

> See the attachment........the browser_page.pl runs fine when executed from
> the D:\Tecweb\cgi-bin\bin\ where Perl.exe resides.

What attachment?

HTH;
-Sneex-  :]