[JaxPM] Perl: it's not just for breakfast

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:36:17 CDT 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

I've been given the opportunity to put on my Advocacy hat and write a
short article about how useful Perl is for things other than web-related
programs (CGI, mod_perl, etc.) and automating system administration tasks.
I doubt it'll actually *convince* any of the PHBs around here, but
if they keep seeing the word 'Perl' enough we might be able to make them
believe it's a buzzword.  My trouble is, other than some data conversions,
I've never really used Perl for anything else.  So, I'm asking for
examples of Perl success stories that don't involve web or sysadmin stuff.

Thanks.

P.S.  I've cross-posted this to use.Perl.org and kuro5hin.org (though it
may not make it to either's home page).  Apologies to those of you who
read those sites regularly for appearing to flood things.  I'm just
looking for diversity in responses.  :)