[JaxPM] Moderator's comments

Jax PM Moderator jacksonville-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org
Wed Jan 26 08:13:21 CST 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Jax PM Moderator <jacksonville-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org> wrote -

on 01/25/2000 9:51 PM, owner-jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org at
owner-jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org wrote:

>> From sneex at fccj.org  Tue Jan 25 21:50:58 2000
> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:56:28 -0500
> From: kiss the sun and walk on air <peter.royal at pobox.com>
> To: Jax PM Moderator <jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org>
> Subject: Re: [JaxPM] Moderator's comments
> Moderator on Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 05:32:02PM -0500
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 05:32:02PM -0500, Jax PM Moderator wrote:
>> Do you care?  Would you rather the list be unmoderated - and
>> prone to being spammed from time to time, or would you
>> rather it be moderated - to ensure things are on topic?
>
> I don't think this list needs to be moderated. Moderation only works
> for specific forums and something on perl just isn't one in my book :)
>
> Besides, if the worry is spam, can't you set the listserv to only
> accept posts from people that have subscribed? afaik, most mailing
> list softwares support that.
> -pete

[Moderator's Note:

No, I already tried  that; but there is still a way, something I
haven't yet seen - or possibly have no control over - that
allowed people not subscribed to post stuff I
consider advertisements which verge on spamming.

I have mentioned this to the PM.Org parent group (the
people that manage the server this group is hosted on)
and was told that I have to figure it out myself.

No big deal.  After looking at many things - I know how
to moderate the group.  We get very little traffic,
not enough to moderate.  But - I also have this deep
desire to kill the entire family of spammers
(even going back in time and killing them before
they are born.)

It is a deep set mental condition that I should
seek professional help for, I realize.  So, I asked
the group if they care about the possibility of
being spammed thru their participation in this group.

So far, only I seem to care :)

So, after thinking about it, sleeping on it;
if there are no 'majority' objections -
I will remove moderation.

Thx for your input!
-Sneex- :]
Bill Jones  |  Systems Programmer |  http://www.fccj.org/cgi/mail?sneex
FCCJ  |  501 W State St  |  Jacksonville, FL 32202  |  1 (904) 632-3089

$_="Jacksonville Perl Mongers";while(/([Jacksonville Perl Mongers])/g){
print join(" ",map{defined $_ ? $_ : ""}$`,$&,$',$+),"\n";}

This message was posted to the Jacksonville Perl Monger's Group
listserv.  The group manager can be reached at:
             owner-jacksonville-pm-list at pm.org