substitution problems using perl

Nate catenate at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 17:23:41 CST 1999

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
Nate <catenate at yahoo.com> wrote -

--- j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote:
> On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
> j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

> > P.S. Here's an interesting one: what if I wanted to save the
> matched
> > number, and increment it by one?
> > Something like:
> > c:\>perl -pi.bak -e 's/^(\t\t9\d*)$/"$1++"/e' COMCITY.zone

> You actually have a slightly more complicated
> question;
> if I were writing such a tool, I'd probably not try to run it in
> place
> from the command line, and add some logic to update the date-stamp
> part of
> the serial number, too.

I actually was doing this from the command line so that I could do
this:
c:\>perl -pi.bak -e 's/^\t\t(9\d*)$/$1++/' *.zone
and use the shell's wildcard features, trying to keep this just a quick
script. Of course, once I had to debug it it was no longer a quick
command line script!

Thanks again, guys.

=====
nate    catenate at yahoo.com