perl script for those of us with dynamic IP addresses

Thomas Miller tmiller at bunny.sailormoon.org
Tue Aug 24 21:13:14 CDT 1999

I've got an internet connection through Media One and I provide a few of my friends with shell access and a few other things. I tried some of the Dynamic IP services, but most of them either cost money or were completely unreliable. So I wrote a Perl script to create and upload a customized web page each time my machine is assigned a new IP address.
You can check out the script in action at http://www.sailormoon.org/~tmiller/currentip.html
It uses the Net::FTP module from the Net Tools package to upload the generated page to my static web site. The error checking could be a little more robust, but hey, it works!

Enjoy,
Tom