[pm-h] Looking for suggestions on new books

Trac Taylor trac_t at swbell.net
Thu Jan 28 11:02:31 PST 2016

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  The last two days have been non-stop.  Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.  I have most of the Perl books already and I usually pick one each night and re-read a section.  I always find it nice to reread a section that I understand better or maybe we touched on the topic in one of the perl meetings.
As for narrowing my search.  I guess I was just looking for new ideas to broaden my search for books besides the ones that Wade and Julian had mentioned in the meetings.  I remember Wade telling me about the refactor one a few times since that is a lot of what I am doing these days.  Or at least that is what I have fun doing.
I am always open for a new to me Perl book. I have read Code Complete.  It was about 15 yrs ago but I did read it.
I think for now i have enough suggestions that I can go through.
Thanks again!Trac

    On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:03 PM, G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.org> wrote:

 On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:32:57 +0000 (UTC)
Trac Taylor via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone
> I getting some funds from work for new books.  I know in some of the
> past meetings, we have discussed some books to read.  These don't
> have to be Perl books.  The books do need to be about programming or
> somewhere along those lines. Wade, I remember you telling me a book
> about refactoring code, which sounded interesting but I dont remember
> the title/author.  And Julian talked about the algorithms book 2
> months ago.

The book on refactoring may have been "Refactoring" as suggested by
Robert. But, I might also have mentioned
http://www.amazon.com/Working-Effectively-Legacy-Michael-Feathers/dp/0131177052

If you don't have "Code Complete" by McConnell, any edition is well
worth it.

Honestly, you'd need to narrow down the area of programming you want
books about. I've got a couple hundred in easy reach, ranging from
language-specific to Cryptography, and from beginner to advanced.

What are you looking for?

G. Wade

--
Rule of thumb: if you think something is clever and sophisticated,
beware: it is probably self-indulgence.            -- Donald Norman