[pm-h] Looking for suggestions on new books

Robert Stone drzigman at drzigman.com
Tue Jan 26 07:50:40 PST 2016

Greetings,

I'm almost certain the book about refactoring code you are referring to is
"Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code" by Fowler, Beck and
the rest of the brain trust.

http://www.amazon.com/Refactoring-Improving-Design-Existing-Code/dp/0201485672

Great book, highly recommended.  I read about the first half of it chapter
by chapter and the rest of it is more reference for types of refactoring
that you dive into when you need them ( Move Method, Replace Conditional
with Polymorphism, etc).  I recommend the actual book rather than the
kindle/ebook as the code sample are formatted rather poorly in the digital
version.

Though quite pricey, at our Tips and Tricks meeting Julian mentioned the
four book series "The Art of Computer Programming" by Knuth.

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Programming-Volumes-1-4A-Boxed/dp/0321751043

This is an epic series, very math heavy and very deep and I've been really
digging it.

In addition to these, I've been re-reading the perl classics and it's
amazing how each time I do so I understand more and more and find myself
saying "I didn't know you could do that!"

Learning Perl - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1449303587
Intermediate Perl -
http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Perl-Randal-L-Schwartz/dp/1449393098
Mastering Perl -