[pm-h] January Houston.pm presentation: Adding Forks to Your Perly Tableware

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sat Jan 9 13:41:50 PST 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 22:32:21 -0600
"G. Wade Johnson via Houston" <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> The January Houston.pm technical meeting will be held at the cPanel
> offices at 3131 W. Alabama, St. on Thursday, January 14 at 7pm.

Glad it was useful. Feel free to use anything on slideshare for the
meetings -- though my wife's Neonatal Cranial Sonography may be a bit
off topic :-)

Memory Manglement, Utils are Your Friends, Getting Testy With Perl,
and Linked Lists: Why Bother? are also good if someone wants to get
into perl and find out how it works. Folks at YAPC also liked the
Perl Debugger introduction, which can be a big help for starting out
or dealing with other people's code.

Note on the code: the talk was written in about 20 minutes prior to
a PM's meeting and lacks *any* real boilerplate. The one thing
someone should mention is that any runt read will throw the stream
off and mis-align the records. "Real" code would do a better job of
saving $. (read file offset) if one of the tasks aborts and then
restarting the process.

The original used perly cases (given/when) which are deprecated...
This version skips the beasties.

enjoi

--
Steven Lembark                                           3646 Flora Pl
Workhorse Computing                                 St Louis, MO 63110