[pm-h] Linux Distribution Selection

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Sat Jan 9 08:46:04 PST 2016

Then expect to install Perl: RH uses (last I looked) pre-5.16
versions compiled for binary compat with 5.00503 (i.e., horrific).

Simplest approach I've found is installing into, say, /opt/perl5/5.22.
At that point you can symlink 5.22/* . in /opt/perl5 [recall that
linux switched to SVr4 filesytem ~15 years ago]. Point is that you can
test an upgrade to the next version and upgrade the system in one step
with: cd /opt/perl5 && rm * && ln -fs 5.X/* .;

In normally keep /opt/bin/ full of symlinks to ../<whatever>/bin/*
which includes perl5, perl6, NeXS spreadsheet. At that point my
PATH='/opt/bin:/usr/bin:/bin' and I don't have to shuffle the path
every time I add a new product to /opt.

enjoi

--
Steven Lembark                                           3646 Flora Pl
Workhorse Computing                                 St Louis, MO 63110