[pm-h] Linux Distribution Selection

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Jan 7 05:24:30 PST 2016

Good for you. I moved to Linux for my desktop years ago and have mostly
been happy.

In recent years, I've been using Mint. It's basically a set of
modifications on Ubuntu, which is a packaged version of Debian. I've
been pretty happy with it.

You can mostly use any help that applies to Ubuntu on Mint problems.
Any "Ubuntu-specific" packages work on Mint as well.

G. Wade

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 06:37:01 -0600
Mike Flannigan via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> I plan to buy a computer and install nothing but
> Linux on it.  I will use it for Perl processing of
> text files, GIS (mapping), and simple things (e-mail,
> browsing, FTP, etc).  I want to be able to Remote
> Desktop into Windows machines, and I want to be able
> to remote into my new Linux machine from Windows.
> Stability and speed are important, but not super
> important.  This will be one of about 4 computers
> on a wired network.  No servers to speak of.
>
> I value your opinion on which distro to select.  I
> am favoring Ubuntu or OpenSuse, but am open to any.
> I have Ubuntu installed on one of my machines.  I'm
> not crazy about it, but I do like the wide selection
> of software and easy installation of the software.
>
> Probably the most important thing to me is being able
> to find/obtain support.  I'm probably not going to pay
> for the support, but that is an option too.
>
> If you would rather comment on what hardware to buy instead
> of what distro to use, I welcome that info also.  I will
> probably buy a high dollar graphics card.  Other than that I
> will buy what the computer store (Fry's) tells me to buy.
>
> When I read things like this:
> https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015/
> I tend towards OpenSuse.
>
> One word answers are welcome.
>

> Thank you.
>

> Mike
> 281-286-6869

I know I'm on the right track when by deleting code I'm adding
functionality.                                       -- John Carter