[pm-h] Paper Relevant to Our Last Meeting - The Linux Scheduler: a Decade of Wasted Cores

Robert Stone drzigman at drzigman.com
Fri Apr 15 09:33:09 PDT 2016

Greetings,

Given our discussion last night (great talk btw, thank you!) I found it
interesting that the following paper appeared on Hacker News this morning.

The paper - http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~sasha/papers/eurosys16-final29.pdf
The Hacker News thread - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11501493

An interesting read if you are a fan of schedulers and I mean, who doesn't
love a good Fair Scheduler?  Besides, it's bursting with fun quotes from
Linus like:

"I suspect that making the scheduler use per-CPU queues together with some
inter-CPU load balancing logic is probably trivial . Patches already exist,
and I don’t feel that people can screw up the few hundred lines too badly."

Challenge accepted!

Best Regards,
Robert Stone