[pm-h] Houston.pm April meeting at Hostgator...

Reini Urban reini.urban at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:16:08 PDT 2016

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 2:40 PM, Julian Brown via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:
>
> If no one has anything, I was intrigued by a paper that came over the wires this week, url below.
>
> It is an optimization scheme for the kernel/client interaction that shows some significant promise especially for web-servers and databases.
>
> I will not be able to get any code but I am willing to put a keynote together on the highlights it might lead to some discussions.
>
> Here is the url to the paper: https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/osdi10/tech/full_papers/Soares.pdf

I thought about supporting a :-die attribute to functions.

perl function calls are very slow due to excessive exception handling code, which can be avoided
if the compiler knows beforehand, that the function and each called function will not call die.

Hence this function call will be much faster.
I haven’t implemented it yet though.

sub simple :-die { $a + 1 }

Only a :-caller attribute to mimic proper tailcalls, or the SCOPE: NO attribute in XS functions.
It doesn’t record itself in the CALLER chain.
I was not happy with that, so it’s not merged into cperl master.