[pm-h] Gauging Interesting In A Potential 'Activity' Social Meeting

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun Jun 7 22:23:32 PDT 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 18:46:02 -0500
Russell Harris via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> On Sun, June 7, 2015 3:45 pm, Julian Brown via Houston wrote:
> > Wade it might be a good idea to bring it up at each meeting, maybe
> > after the speaker (s) have finished before we start socializing.
> > Most of the people are senior, but I am sure there are some who are
> > not and would be greatly appreciative of any help.
>
> As a non-professional essayist and commentator, I occasionally have
> need to modify multiple text files which reside in multi-level
> directory structures.  Another need is to generate documents by
> drawing component text from files residing in multiple directories.
> So most of my needs involve loops which traverse directories, create
> or open files, and read, write, or modify file contents.
>
> A few years back, shortly after I discovered Perl, Wade and other PM-H
> members tutored me at PM-H meetings and via e-mail, helping me to
> design and write a number of Perl scripts to accomplish the required
> tasks.
>
> Since then, I have been hard-pressed to attend PM-H meetings, but it
> appears to me that most of the PM-H presentations over the past few
> years focus upon techniques which are much too exotic for my simple
> needs.

This is actually one of the reasons that I ask for topics of interest
every month. Even if you can't present on the topic, ask. Someone in
the group will probably be able to.

Those of us who have been doing Perl forever sometimes have trouble
knowing what topics newer people would be interested in. Personally, I
have been doing Perl for around 5 years before my teenager was born.

Many of us would be willing to answer question or give more
beginner-friendly presentations.

G. Wade

> Nonetheless, I view PM-H meetings as an opportunity not only to
> receive on-the-spot assistance, but also to make acquaintance with
> Perl Mongers willing to provide tutoring and assistance on an
> informal paid basis.

Russell, if you are looking for something like this, feel free to
contact me off-line. That part of my current business.

G. Wade

> RH

There are 2 possible outcomes: If the result confirms the hypothesis,
then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the
hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.                -- Enrico Fermi