[pm-h] Gauging Interesting In A Potential 'Activity' Social Meeting

rlharris at oplink.net rlharris at oplink.net
Sat Jun 6 15:16:45 PDT 2015

On Sat, June 6, 2015 4:14 pm, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> It's been asked in the past and we've gotten crickets in response. Are
> you suggesting we advertise this somewhere else?

It would be interesting to run an advertisement about a month in advance
of a particular meeting date, and see what happens.  Being a "public
service" announcement, the advertisement should run at no cost.  If new
people show up, the meeting can be used to plan future activities.

Here are a few ideas.  There is a free weekly neighbourhood newspaper
called "The Leader" which is thrown in the Heights and in Oak Forest on
the Northwest side of Houston.  There is (at least, there once was) a
weekly paper at Rice called "The Thresher", and U of H likely has a weekly
newspaper.  Houston Community College likely has a web site which carries
announcements.  And someone could contact Jay Lee who writes the weekly
"Technology Bytes" column for the Houston Chronicle; Lee could make
mention of the event in his column.

What is needed is a creatively-worded advertisement which would attract
the attention of computer users who might not be aware of the utility of
Perl, or might not be aware that there is a local pool of Perl expertise.
The ulterior motive, of course, is to gain new members for [pm-h].

RH