[pm-h] Python and Perl is Dead

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed Sep 17 05:34:03 PDT 2014

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:58:39 -0500
Mike Flannigan via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> On 9/16/2014 1:02 AM, Zakariyya Mughal via Houston wrote:
> >
> > Heheh, I'm still in university and I'm showing people Perl tricks
> > that blow their minds. People these days just don't use dynamic
> > languages to their full capability. They just learn the basics and
> > stop. :-P
> >
> > I just went to Houston Techfest[*] this weekend (as I have for a
> > number of years now) and I'm mostly seeing C# and JavaScript. There
> > used to be a larger Java presence and even some Ruby, but that has
> > seemed to waned. I'm wondering, would anyone want to present some
> > Perl there next year? I think I may have got someone interested in
> > looking at DBIx::Class.
> >
> > Also, have any of you checked out PowerShell? It's got a very terse
> > syntax. I may have to steal some of it for Perl.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > - Zaki Mughal
>

> I didn't know I had PowerShell on this Win7 machine
> of mine.  I'm watching tutorial 1 of 5 right now.  This
> guy sure gets excited about things that don't seem all
> that cool to me, but it sure is cool to him.  He is easily
> impressed.
>
> I guess this PowerShell is a little bit better than the
> command prompt I am using now, but not much better in
> my opinion.  I really need to find a better one.

Last century, when I used to work in Windows, I used the Take Command
shell from JP Software. (I had actually used their 4DOS before that.)

A quick check on-line shows that Take Command still exists:
http://jpsoft.com/take-command-windows-scripting.html

G. Wade

> Mike

C++ tries to guard against Murphy, not Machiavelli.
                                                    -- Damian Conway