[pm-h] Power::Outlet

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 08:59:44 PDT 2014

G. Wade and Perl Folks,
I have a personal pet project called Power::Outlet where I'm trying to enable network attached power outlets devices under a single the umbrella.  It's a fairly open architecture and could support any on/off controller.  If anyone has network attached power outlets and would not mind being my tester please send me the specs and I'd like to add it to the Power::Outlet project.

It currently supports Belkin WeMo, Dataprobe iBoot, and Dataprobe iBootBar.  I have specs for Aviosys IP POWER 9258 but I don't have any test hardware.

For example, this is all you need to add to cron to turn on and off a network attached lamp.

0 18 * * * power-outlet iBoot ON  host mylamp
0 22 * * * power-outlet iBoot OFF host mylamp

or something fancier if you have a daytime/nighttime script

0-59/10 * * * * is_nighttime && power-outlet iBoot ON  host mylamp
5-59/10 * * * * is_daytime   && power-outlet iBoot OFF  host mylamp

In Perl a one liner

 perl -MPower::Outlet -e 'print Power::Outlet->new(type=>"iBoot", host=>shift)->on, "\n"' mylamp

My goal is to get drivers together as network attached everything will be here shortly.

Lesson learned: ensure the next stereo you buy saves it settings when you pull the plug.
Thanks,
Mike

mrdvt92