[pm-h] Client Computer Name

John Lightsey john at nixnuts.net
Sat Nov 15 13:00:33 PST 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-15 at 13:01 -0600, G. Wade Johnson via Houston wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:18:22 -0600
> Fraser Baker via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Y'all:
> >
> > Is there a way to get the Client's computer name or any other
> > identifying term? I can get the server's name, but that doesn't help
> > me. I have searched for this, without avail.
>
> I assume you are talking about a web request?

> Anyone else have an idea for Fraser?

The question is difficult to answer without more detail.

Software is client side:
- Sys::Hostname

Software is server side and client is a willing participant:
- cookies without any registration process
- registration + email confirmation + login/cookies/api-tokens/etc

Software is server side and client is malicious or unwilling to provide
information:
- use the IP address instead of the hostname
- browser fingerprinting (Browser::FingerPrint)
- reverse DNS lookup (gethostbyaddr() or Net::DNS)
- shodan (WWW::Shodan::API)
- nmap, particularly the NSE scripts (Nmap::Parser)