[pm-h] "How to write a developer CV/resume that will get you hired" (slides)

Damon Hastings damon at booktrolls.com
Mon Nov 10 15:19:38 PST 2014

A good set of tips for any job-hunting programmer.  But speaking as a Perl-exclusive employer, I can tell you that the Houston market for top-notch Perl coders is tight enough right now that I hardly bother to filter candidates by resume any more.  I just glance at the resume to check that it mentions Perl a few times in some non-trivial way, and then I offer an interview.  The candidate codes during the interview, and that's really the best way I can judge.  For me, at least, it's all about the coding.  But the big companies do filter your resume through a hiring manager, and, yes, they're generally clueless.  Also bear in mind that most big companies only do "light scripting" in Perl, so you have to think about what kind of job you want.

Professional recruiters and hiring managers tend to rely more on degrees, experience, and other "paper" qualifications (because they have to), and that's why I don't use them.  I've encountered too many instances where a young candidate with no degree, no professional experience, and a crappy resume would code circles around other candidates with 20 years' experience.  This doesn't seem to happen so much with C++ and the like.  I'm thinking this problem might be unique to the Perl market, since most places only use Perl for "light scripting" (automation, QA, etc) -- and not even 20 years of light scripting will prepare you for "real" Perl coding at a Perl-exclusive company.  The Perl market is bifurcated.  So I'm highly aware that my candidates' resumes can mislead, particularly on Perl skills.  I do skim briefly for markers of deeper knowledge: open source involvement, projects beyond light scripting, specific CPAN modules mentioned, etc.  But this is
 still unreliable, and, frankly, there are few enough actual Perl candidates in (or willing to move to) Houston that I can afford to just interview them all.  Honestly, I pay more attention to the cover letter than the resume (if it's tailored to my job posting); those are rare, and a good idea.

One last note: any candidate willing to relocate will have a huge advantage in the market.  It's by far the single largest limiting factor I've encountered in my search.  If I accepted telecommuting candidates, then I'd probably have to hire a recruiter to filter through the great hordes of programmers worldwide trying to telecommute.  If you do want to telecommute, then you might consider reading that slideshow carefully, because you'll need an optimal resume.  Just my opinion, though.  ;-)

Damon Hastings
CTO, BookTrolls, LLC
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/damon-hastings/5/630/309