[pm-h] Perl on Windows

Reini Urban rurban at x-ray.at
Fri Mar 7 12:21:08 PST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Chris Blanc <cblanc at dionysius.com> wrote:
> This is awesome. I don't care if Perl isn't the trendy web language,
> because as far as I can tell all of the trendy web stuff is worthless
> anyway, but I think it's a great language for gluing together an
> operating system. I enjoy Windows but tend to use it through a mixture
> of the CLI and Perl, simply because GUIs are inherently inefficient
> for many (but not every) task. I would suggest a focus on how to
> integrate Perl with the Windows interface, e.g. adding to right-click
> menus, drag-n-drop, automated changes to Windows config/registry and
> making common scripts easily available. There's also a lot of
> web-based stuff that Perl is useful for, such as removing 80-column
> line breaks in Windows txt files and converting Linux or Macintosh
> (ewwww) text files to Windows format.

I developed commercially for windows perl for a few years, so you can
ask me in the meetings.

You need basically libwin, Win32::GUI, Par::Dist and a nice installer.
I used mainly the NSIS installer http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
With Win32::GUI you can develop much nicer native windows apps
than with any other language: python, php, tcl, vbasic, tcl, java,
lisp, lua, ruby, ...

Both activeperl and strawberry are fine.

For true compilations via perlcc instead of Par you need a patched or
a recent perl. This is only for hardcore devs.