[pm-h] July Houston.pm: Call for presentation

Mark Allen mrallen1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 06:58:43 PDT 2014

Yay top posting!

At my functional programming group we watched a video from Erlang Factory about Haskell and I think it went alright since we didn't have a local resource who wanted to do a presentation about Haskell.

One other thing we tried last month was "office hours" where people who self-id as "mentors" put their names on a whiteboard along with their area of expertise and then others who come can ask questions about that subject from the mentor.  I think that worked *really* well. Plenty of time for networking and the opportunity to ask questions about side-projects or just learning new stuff you didn't really understand previously.

So there's a couple of ideas.

Thanks.

Mark

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:29 AM, G. Wade Johnson via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:39:39 -0400
Todd Rinaldo via Houston <houston at pm.org> wrote:

> I have a partially formed idea I've been tossing around. There is a
> ton of content online from past and present YAPCs now. Not to mention
> other conferences. Often this content is coming from the author of the
> feature / method being discussed. I was wondering if we could somehow
> integrate that into a meeting with discussion.
>
> The format might be:
> 1. We vote up and watch a list of videos people like (possibly clipped
> to the good parts)
> 2. Discussion / Q&A of content.
>
> I get that I and others could do this on our own. So I'm hesitant to
> say there's value. I thought I'd throw it out to the list and see if
> anyone's had any thoughts based on the idea.

[Drat, I didn't reply all on this one.]

I can see this as a start to a discussion in the group. On the other
hand, would everyone really want to sit as a group to watch a video of
someone presenting somewhere else?

Any real opinions?

G. Wade

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM, G. Wade Johnson via Houston
> <houston at pm.org> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > It's about 3 weeks to the next Houston.pm meeting on July 10 at
> > cPanel.
> >
> > Does anyone have a topic they would like to present?
> >
> > Is there any kind of topic you guys would like to hear about?
> >
> >  * Perl beginner
> >    - we've had a couple of these lately
> >    - ?
> >  * Perl advanced
> >    - ?
> >  * General programming
> >    - ?
> >  * Open Source projects we should know about
> >    - ?
> >  * Tools/environment
> >    - we haven't had editor presentations in a while
> >    - ?
> >  * Security
> >    - ?
> >  * Hardware
> >    - doing anything cool with hardware and Perl?
> >    - ?
> >  * Something unrelated to Perl, but still of interest to the group
> >    - Mind hacks
> >    - Making
> >    - ?
> >
> > Remember the quality of meetings is under your control.
> > G. Wade
> > --
> > It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter
> > how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.
> >                                                   -- Richard Feynman

Be a good ancestor.                                   -- Jonas Salk