[pm-h] Any volunteers for August?

Mev412 mev412 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:27:29 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'd like to bring up the idea again about a presentation on the BER
encoding, used for encoding ASN.1 structures. A subset of this encoding,
DER, is something I think a lot Perl programmers (or anyone who works with
the web) will deal with often as this is used to encode X509 Certificates.

The talk would be a walk through of the decoder I wrote.

Some other things that would be covered along the way

-Working with raw bytes and bits
-pack/unpack
-HTML parsing
-Endianess
-OIDs
-Variable Length Quantity (VLQ)

I've had a lot of fun writing this and I've learned a great deal about Perl
and BER along the way. I hope others might be able to benefit from this
experience as well.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM, G. Wade Johnson via Houston <houston at pm.org