[pm-h] Interesting Blog Posts on Context & Array vs List

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Wed Feb 19 21:13:54 PST 2014

On 02/19/2014 03:02 PM, Michael R. Davis wrote:

> I actually don't like the current popular practice of doing
>
> my ($self, $a, $b, $c)=@_;

i teach that as it is slightly faster (no shifting of @_) and you can
see all the args in one place. sometimes i have seen bad code with some
shifts deep in the sub and those are hard to follow.

> I much prefer
>
> my $self = shift;
> my $a    = shift;
> my $b    = shift;
>
> as I can
>
> my $self = shift;
> my $a    = shift || "default";
> my $b    = shift // 0;
>
> and actually understand what I did months later.

so just do them later as regular statements without the my. that way you
get the args in one step, you do defaulting in another.

uri

--
Uri Guttman - The Perl Hunter
The Best Perl Jobs, The Best Perl Hackers