[pm-h] Discussion about delimiters for m//

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat Feb 15 21:17:58 PST 2014

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 23:55:49 -0500
"Michael R. Davis" <mrdvt92 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > "You write code as if the person who will maintain your code is a
> > violent psychopath who knows where you live." -- John F. Woods
> >
> > Thinking about the person who will maintain your code is always a
> > good thing.
>
> Now that I been using Perl for almost 20 years.  I tend to be nice to
> myself and go back and update the variable names and I always use the
> m in a match and only ever use m// or m{}.
>
> And, I am the crazy guy who maintains the code I once wrote and I
> know where I live.
>
> The funny thing about Perl is that the code you write seems to stick
> around a lot longer than you would have imagined. Mike

A guy my wife used to know was fond of saying:

  "There's nothing more permanent than temporary code."

In addition to the temporary scripts, I agree. A lot of the Perl code
I've worked on over the years just continues running. Sometimes it
needs to be extended, and sometimes the environment changes, but
otherwise it keeps on getting stuff done.

Systems develop goals of their own the instant they come into being.
                                                        -- John Gall