[pm-h] NeilB commentary on CPAN

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Mon Aug 11 07:26:18 PDT 2014

On 08/11/2014 06:45 AM, Michael R. Davis via Houston wrote:
>>http://neilb.org/2014/08/10/prepared-to-put-up-with.html
>> Makes you think about a central part of the Perl ecosystem.
> G. Wade,
> I think if CPAN had a few features then it would be better.
> 1) I use this distribution please keep it updated.
> 2) Don't use this distribution use this newer, bigger, better package
> instead.
> So, the packages with the most "use" could be filtered from the rest
> more easily.

that does exist on metacpan. look for the reverse dependencies link on a
module page. that shows what other modules and distributions are
depenedent on this module. it won't show end user programs which use the
module (without scanning all those private disks :) but it does tell you
something about popularity. but popularity doesn't always equate to
quality (look at any major fast food chain) so keep that in mind.

uri

--
Uri Guttman - The Perl Hunter
The Best Perl Jobs, The Best Perl Hackers