[pm-h] is cross-posting a sin?

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Fri Nov 22 08:46:22 PST 2013

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:34:13 -0600 (CST)
rlharris at oplink.net wrote:

> There have been no responses to my posting of a day or two ago,
> regarding downloading a mail backlog from a POP3 server to a single
> maildir on my desktop computer.

The issue may be lack of knowledge in this particular area. While I've
done similar work on deleting large quantities of email (or large email
messages), I've never needed to do what you describe.

> I would like to read and sort the messages off-line, but I do not know
> enough Perl to retrieve messages one at a time from a maildir.  And my
> understanding of mail protocols is imperfect:
> Would such a download destroy information (such as message numbers,
> which can be used to cull duplicate messages) vital to subsequent
> sorting of messages?
>
> Would it be poor etiquette to post the same inquiry to the PerlMonks
> web site?

I would definitely hit PerlMonks with this question. More expertise is
likely to generate a quick answer.

G. Wade

> RLH

The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is
a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.    -- C.A.R. Hoare