[pm-h] Good use of hashes for our more junior members

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Nov 21 06:13:34 PST 2013

I know that everyone who has been programming in Perl for a while will
be aware of this, but some of our members may not have done this.

http://perlmaven.com/count-words-in-text-using-perl

Gabor does a good job of setting up a simple problem and explaining it
well. I have used variations of this code more times than I can count.

He really does not go into using regular expressions to extract other
things besides just words (e.g. IP addresses, telephone numbers), which
is fine because he is focusing on the counting technique.

There are also a number of things you can do with this hash when you
are finished. The reports he shows are pretty straight-forward, but
graphing the output is not incredibly hard if that's what you need.

DON'T PANIC! I'm a trained professional, and far more qualified to
panic in this situation than you are.